Spinning or indoor cycling has become a very popular way to increase your current fitness level if you're looking for a calorie-burning, energizing, and serious workout. Indoor cycling, as an organized activity, is a form of exercise with classes focusing on endurance, strength, intervals, high intensity and recovery, that involves using a special stationary exercise bicycle with a weighted flywheel in a classroom setting.
As the summer has officially come to an end, now is the time to start researching winter indoor cycling classes and quality instructors so you are prepared when its time to take the training indoors.
Do your homework, alot of spin intructors down right suck! Don't get discouraged, because finding the right class and intructor who knows his or her stuff, can have you kicking ass on the road come the spring. This is a great time to focus on building leg stregth and focusing on heart rate training for your next race or triathlon.
The advantages of indoor cycling... Great cardio exercise which enables high calorie burn and lean body mass.
Excellent cross-training to running, guaranteed to improve speed and endurance.
Safe on the joints!
During the winter months, fantastic way to continue improving performance during inclement weather conditions.
A premier instructor will give guidance, insure proper set-up, provides safety, is motivating and FUN.
Unlike road riding you can cycle to up-beat music or videos.
You get to utilize the energy of a group cycling class on those hard-to-workout days.
No cars or squirrels!
What you will need.
1. A positive attitude
2. Be properly fueled with quality nutrition. If its a morning class be sure to start with a healthy breakfast.
3. Be on time. Being late can disrupt the class and annoy the instructor. Arrive early to make sure you bike set up is perfect and in working order. If unsure ask the instructor before class about proper set up.
4. Bring water and a towel for the class.
5. Bike shoes with "SPD" clips are recommended to get the most from your workout, but not required.
6. If you are looking to take this workout a little more "high tech", simply ride with a heart rate monitor to get accurate information and feedback from your body.
** Be sure to inform your instructor if you are pregnant or have any other health concerns. Some classes can be very intense.**
Coach Briody is a SCHWINN certified spin instructor and coach. For class schedules and rates please use the "contact form".
Top indoor cycling on LI --> Best Spin Classes on Long Island
To return from the spinning page to the Home Page click HERE.
Questions or comments on Spinning?
Do you have a great heart pounding song that you think would be motivational for my "Spin Your Ass Off" class? Share it!