Fitness goals are something thousands of people set out to accomplish each day. Why do they fail? Making promises to yourself to go to the gym everyday is not a goal. More specifically, it is not a clear goal. Even actually going to the gym everyday is not a goal. As we think about 2012 and what we want to achieve athletically, let's simplify and divide goals into 3 groups: physical, nutritional, and behavioral.
Now that we have sorted it out, take 3 index cards, and on each of them write down your same 3 goals on each. Be precise. One goes in your wallet or purse, the next on or in the fridge, and the third in a drawer that you open everyday. These will serve as your reminders of your targets.
1. Plan your goals: How will you achieve them?
2. Benchmark Progress: Seeing small steps toward the target will keep you motivated.
3. Make your goals attainable. Be realistic.
4. Plan training: Make an appointment with yourself for training and find a workout routine that will keep you inspired. Be sure to add exercise variety to your workouts.
5. Set goals that are measurable: Lower body fat, slimmer waistline, lower cholesterol, faster mile etc.
6. If resources allow it, seek guidance from a qualified personal trainer and/or dietitian. This is a great way to help make the most effective use of your time and also get the fastest results.
With clear fitness targets and a proper plan you can easily stick with and accomplish your fitness goals. In 2012 make fitness a priority, create good habits and a strong consistant plan.
By Coach Briody, ACE certified Personal Trainer
Covert Fitness of Locust Valley "Where serious athletes set goals"
Do you have a comment about this? Share it!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
These are great recommendations and a fantastic tool to get you and keep you focused and on track. Thank you for your great posts Michael. All the Best, …
I Love this article !
NO more excuses for not being able to focus on the goal. Thank you Briody Fitness.
Is it really this simple?
Thanks Briody Fitness ! I appreciate your weekly fitness tips, keep them coming!!!!
You are making it very hard with this great article to find excuses not to start exercising. Thanks for the time you put into all your tips!!
"A man on a mission to change the way people attack their fitness goals" S.C.
" Mike has changed the way our entire family views health and fitness. He is hands on and leads by example "
"By far the best fitness instructor/motivator I have ever worked with. His class is meticulously planned, extremely fast-paced and very thorough" Juli
Mike's "Spin your A$$ off class" gives u a 45 minute taste of Kona!! Awesome workout, I got a fantastic ride and left behind lots of calories! T.D.
Weekly Fitness Tips|